The library

The Torriani Book of Hours is one of the great treasures of the Bibliothèque du Château de Chantilly, a stunningly beautiful noble residence in northern France about fifty kilometers from Paris. The château, with its enormous park, once belonged to the Orgemont family. It then passed into the hands of the Montmorency family, followed by the Condé family. In 1830, it was bequeathed to Henri d’Orléans, duc d’Aumale (1822-1897) who left it to the Institut de France on condition that the Musée Condé be opened to the public.

bib6
Il Castello di Chantilly
bib7
L’interno della
biblioteca
bib8
Le Très Riches Heures
del Duca di Berry

With the château’s splendid library, part of the inheritance, the Duke also received a priceless collection of artworks (including a Raphael). The library includes a collection of approximately 800 manuscripts, to which, with considerable intelligence, the Duke added further works. 
Among these new acquisitions, we find the marvellous codex known as the Les Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry, illuminated by the Limbourg brothers and Jean Colombe, the forty illuminations by Jean Fouquet for the Book of Hours of Etienne Chevalier, and the early thirteenth century Psalter of Queen Ingeborg of Denmark.