Patronage

Until just a few years ago, owing to the presence of a coat of arms on one folio (f. 1r.), the codex was known as the Ore Morosini (Morosini Hours).
Only in 2000 was the coat of arms traced to the Milanese Della Torre or Torriani house, an ancient, illustrious family of Lombardy which, for some time, ruled over Milan.
In the thirteenth century, the house of Torriani was the wealthiest and most powerful of Milan. The period of the height of the family’s power came under the rule, or Signoria, of Napoleone, also known as Napo.

During the fourteenth century, while the rival House of Visconti family triumphed over the House of Torriani, the Torriani family, and its various branches, constantly played a leading part in the political and administrative life not only of Milan but also of Northern Italy as a whole.
The Torriani coat of arms, to which the book owes its name, was added at a later date. In any case, although the work was produced during the time of the rule of the House of Sforza (circa 1490-1495), the first person to own the book was probably a lady, or ‘gentildonna’, of the Torriani family.

Milano nel Rinascimento
Milano nel Rinascimento


La Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore
La Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore


Lo stemma dei Torriani
Lo stemma dei Torriani